So, oil pastels. I had used them once or twice.
The main thing I learned was to wait until everything was finished, the whole drawing and tones and anything else. Leave the use of the turpentine for the very last minute. Or else it would soak the paper and the flipping thing would take forever and a day to dry enough to carry home.
Also, the turpentine’s smell is nauseating. Revolting. Like sticking your head in the petrol tank of a car.
I tried different techniques and different subjects. These are the results:
I had some figurines handy. They were colourful enough and would make an interesting subject.
I used the oil pastels and a torchon (difumino in Spanish) to blend some colours with each other and into the texture of the paper.
It was a challenge to get the right tones. I confess I bought a cheap box of oil pastels with a strange selection of tones (not showing on the box). Never mind, I didn’t get the exact colours. Still, quite pleased with the results I got.
This time I used turpentine and the colours blended beautifully. The thing stank for a few days hanging by the front door.
I wanted to have another go with pastels. I liked the way the light hit the side of this carrier bag (actually containing rubbish).
I learned that oil pastels don’t allow for much detail. I also learned to leave the black bar alone next time and find other colours to add shadow effects.
I decided not to use turpentine for the last one, and leave it looking ragged and a bit unfinished.
Thanks for reading this.
See you soon with some more drawings.